Monday, February 7, 2011

Boy Oh Boy!

I have the funniest, sweetest, most mischievious 3 (almost 4) year old in the world...at least I think so.




I have to share a few stories about JD's (mis)adventures (or as we used to say at my old workplace, coachable moments) in growing up recently.

Story #1
JD and I are sitting at the table finishing up a snack. Meg walks by, carrying some toy of JD's.
JD: Come here, you old stupid baby!
Me: WHAT did you just say???!!
JD: Meg needs to come here.
Me: No, what did you call her???!!!
JD: Stupid!
Me: We DO NOT EVER call someone stupid!! Where did you hear that???
JD: {No answer}

Jon enters the room at this point and I inform him of our son's new vocabulary word.

Jon: JD, we do NOT call anyone stupid. Don't even say that word!
JD: {A little more quietly} stupid
Jon: If you say it again, you will get a spanking.
JD: {Looks at both of us - whispers} stupid


And I guess you can figure out the rest of the story. Jon and I could barely keep from laughing during that whole saga because he and I both know that we were both just as stubborn growing up and would have most likely pulled the same thing with our parents (and probably did)! To his credit, JD hasn't said it again (at least in front of us)!

Story #2

JD LOVES Mr Potatohead right now (and has for the past 5-6 months). I love how Potatohead encourages all sorts of creative play and scenarios for JD. The problem with Potatohead is that there are lots of little pieces that fall off Potatohead or get misplaced all the time.

Most mornings (or after naptime) goes a little something like this:
JD: Mommy, where is Potatohead's (insert piece - eyes, ear, arm, etc)??
Me: I'm not sure. Did you look in your room?
JD: Yes.
Me: Under the couch? Under the table? In the office?
JD: Yes
Me: Well, then I don't know where it could be.
JD: Can you help me look for it please?
Me: As soon as I finish (insert activity - changing Meg, feeding Meg, doing dishes, etc).
JD: Now please??
Me: Just a minute. (insert whining by JD) Okay, fine.


So the other morning, I end up looking for Potatohead's ear for about 30 minutes. No luck. I finally just give up and tell JD we need to pick up some in order to find it. Just then, JD pats his shirt pocket and then pulls out the ear. Then he says, "Oh here it is. I put it here so I wouldn't lose it." Hmmm...


And the most recent story occurred this morning.

Story #3
JD went into my room with the excuse of needing to use the potty. I asked him to close the door behind him so that Meg wouldn't follow him in there. On his way back out to the living room, he closes the door again and says, "I locked it so Meg can't get in."

Me: What?! If you locked it, none of us can get in!

So then I look on all of our door frames for one of the little pinhole keys, which none of them have anymore. So I bend up a hanger and pop it open. Whew. Crisis averted, right?

Wrong.

I am loading up the car to get ready to take JD to school and I pulled the door that goes into the garage closed behind me, so I wouldn't let in the cold or have a kiddo following me into the garage. I put in JD's lunchbox, napmat, etc and go back to find the door locked! And I don't have my keys or phone or anything with me!

I start pounding on the door and hear Meg whimpering in the laundry room. Aaah! I need to get back in the house. Then I hear JD laughing behind the door and I tell him to unlock it, which thank goodness, he knew how to do. I asked him why he locked it and he said, "I didn't lock it. Baby Meg locked it." Hmmm....considering she can't even hold a doorknob yet, I'm doubting that one.

JD definitely keeps me on my toes at all times!!!

0 comments: